Germantown Hills Baptist Church is a loving church in the beautiful community of Germantown Hills, IL. Located just off of HWY 116 and on Schmitt Lane, we are close to the the Germantown Hills Middle School. Our desire is to be fully committed followers of Jesus Christ and to see others do the same.
Who Are We?
As God's Word directs, our mission is to glorify God by being and making disciples of Jesus Christ through evangelism, worship, teaching, and fellowship (Matthew 28:18-20).
The first meeting of the Germantown Hills Baptist Church was held in the home of Art & Lois Ginz on October 18, 1952. The church held a recognition council in January of 1953 and at that time joined the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC). There were 11 charter members. Rev. Sheral Gregory served as the first Pastor. The first church building, on the corner of Ten Mile Creek Road and Jo Street, was dedicated in March of 1953. Rev. Robert Ketchem was the guest speaker.
Rev. Bob Buda was the second Pastor, coming in August of 1954. During his ministry a parsonage was built next to the church in 1956 and the church was very active in the beginning of the state camp near Cazenovia. In 1963, the church moved to their new and present location at 304 Schmitt Lane in Germantown Hills.
Other Pastors who have served are Rev. Don Russell and Rev. Don Shawback. Pastor Shawback came as a missionary Pastor and when he completed his ministry in 1975, the church was self-supporting.
Pastor Russell Davis came in January of 1976. Under his ministry the current parsonage was built in 1977 and the fellowship hall was added to the church in 1980.
Pastor Davis retired in 1983 and Pastor Don Collings came to serve as Pastor for the next 13 years. During Pastor Collings tenure, a new sanctuary/auditorium was begun in 1996 and later completed after his ministry had ended. Pastor Don Whitman was called as the Pastor in the summer of 1997 and his ministry continued until September 2005. During Pastor Whitman’s ministry Larry Lindow was called to serve as Youth Pastor and he continued in that position until 2005. Pastor Robert Fields became the Pastor on October 1, 2006. During Pastor Fields tenure, a new activity wing was added to the church which included a gymnasium, new church offices, a youth room, a second kitchen, a new library, a conference room, a new nursery, and several new bathroom. Construction began in 2010 with occupancy about 18 months later. Nat Kealen was called to be the Associate Pastor on September 1, 2007.
Pastor Robert Fields retired February 1, 2015. Pastor Nat Kealen served as associate pastor until August 21, 2016 when he accepted a senior pastor position at another GARBC church. Rev. Paul Mann stepped in to serve as interim pastor on September 11, 2016.
On March 12, 2017 the church voted to call Pastor Mike Carlson as pastor. He accepted the call. He moved to Germantown Hills, IL with his wife, Karen, and their two children, Meaghan and Jordan. His first Sunday with us was May 28, 2017.